10/02/2021

Getting Cranked Up: Morning Prayer

 

“In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.” – (Psalm 5:3 NIV)

Before I retired I got up early in the morning five days a week for work. And, honestly, my first thought was often more about coffee than God! But, I did grab my Bible and journal as I made my way to my first cup. I had to be at work early so I had very little time to waste.

I came to this conclusion while reflecting on prayer; my experience in morning prayer is much like trying to crank up an old car. It can prove to be problematic. Sometimes I felt like I am just getting “cranked up” and then it was time to leave for work. Other times, I enter into prayer easily and quickly. But, the key to prayer is; consistency, and endurance, even when we feel nothing

The men and women of God (both past and present) that I appreciate the most are people who value prayer. Effective prayer warriors have this in common; their prayers are influenced and guided by the Scriptures. Praying God-breathed words will transform our vocabulary and our thinking. And it helps us to pray the will of God more effectively.

I have found it helpful to study the prayer life of Paul. And to follow his example in prayer. He prayed for the spiritual transformation (which is ongoing) of the Church. His prayers were positive and not focused on the negative. Jesus ( the chief Apostle and High Priest of our faith) taught us to pray for deliverance from the evil one. The Apostle Paul taught us about the nature of our adversary. And how to stand in the power of God against evil.

Below are a few prayers from the book of Ephesians that I pray for myself and others regularly.

Ephesians 1

Heavenly Father, I ask for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that I may know Jesus better.

I ask that you would enlighten the eyes of ____heart. So that they may know your glorious inheritance and great power that you have made available to your children.

Ephesians 3

Heavenly Father, strengthen me with power through your Spirit in my inner being. Help me to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge. And fill me with all the fulness of God. Amen


Pray for Five Friends #ThyKingdomCome